Help judging performance of my FE55z, FE35f2.8z horizon/infinity

Started Jul 5, 2016 | Questions thread
Nephi Contributing Member • Posts: 531
Re: Help judging performance of my FE55z, FE35f2.8z horizon/infinity

slstr wrote:

All my fe35 shots posted were indicated by camera as infinity during manual focus. Focused on big TV radio tower 5km away, even the FE55 has trouble on 24mp A7 sensor to show much detail at 5km.. Amazing how you can see the lines that stabilize the structure with both 35 and 55 leases.. You need shots focused further away than 5km?!

Ahhh... you have a A7.  That explains why infinity looks different.  I though you were using an A7R II.  My mistake.

Here's the scoop on the Sony 35mm.  ALL of them have a tilt that will manifest itself in a noticeably less detailed right or left side.  The only difference between the lens is how blurry the side is and wither its left or right.  Stopping down only helps marginally.

Your 35mm looks well centered however that's because you are using an A7.  An A7R II would show a blurry side.  I would keep the copy you have because on the A7 you are using it looks fine.  I see no issues.
Chalk the decentering up to Sony's awesome quality control.  The 35mm 1.4 is even worse as are several other Sony lenses.

Someone post a shot with the following criteria:

1.  Sony 35mm 2.8
2.  2.8 - 5.6 aperture
3.  A7R II
4.  Level shot.
5.  Infinity with detail on each side or corner. 
6.  Unedited (RAW or JPEG).

If the shot shows equal or near equal sharpness on each side I'd be stunned.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow