Help judging performance of my FE55z, FE35f2.8z horizon/infinity

Started Jul 5, 2016 | Questions thread
OP slstr Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
Re: Help judging performance of my FE55z, FE35f2.8z horizon/infinity

holin wrote:

I'm interested in cheap testing methods, too, so, I looked. Based on 1600 pix wide jpegs it's difficult to say anything. They look fine and if this is the format you'd always publish your stuff then there is little to complain. I'd use RAWs, unsharpened (not unsharp mask'ed ) exported to JPEGs if necessary. However, I would also like to ask, why do you want to test your lenses. Do you see something in your photos that prompts you to suspect there's something wrong?

As for the testing method, I'd test with a brick wall, carefully aligned, or try to find slightly flatter infinity subject - so that almost everything is far away in the photo. Now you only have very thin corner to corner line of detail (buildings) from which to judge sharpness. Trees won't do, especially when it's windy.

Sorry I was in a hurry when replying to you before and forgot to answer your question regarding why I want to test my lenses and whether I suspect something is wrong.
TL;DR I don't suspect anything wrong, testing is fun and funds are limited !
the corner to corner line of building-detail + antennas and also the lines holding up the TV-radio tower far away was specificly what i was going for in this test.
Brick wall tested earlier showed good detail in bottom-middle and top-middle, but brick wall did not tell me much about contrast and fringing in sides+corners etc.. not that I could see anyway.
My budget is limited and I don't want to keep a lens if it is not performing as expected i.e. normal or better ..
I've moved from a6000+sel24f18z to A7II+FE35f28z and now also A7s+FE28 and FE55 because I was chasing small size and great low light performance + want to be able to frame shots without worrying about soft sides/corners, and I plan to upgrade to higher resolution body down the road.
I got a Canon Pixma Pro-10 printer so I will print as large as I can with that when it's time to for X-mas  plus I have fun pixelpeeping so in that regard "too much" resolved detail  doesn't hurt.
I love the 28mm focal length, and the FE28 size, the Batis 25 is too large for my current carrying preference, maybe later ..
From what I can see I'm not worried much about center resolution or contrast of the 55, but since I only tried one copy of the 55 I don't know what to expect on average in the corners.

I could see that my FE55 by far outperformed the FE50 I tested so deciding between the two was easy because of huge differences from wide open to f5.6 (not to mention autofocus + extending element, coma etc...) , jpegs of FE50 focused at infinity are included in the dropbox RAW/jpeg folder linked earlier.
I didn't bother testing at narrower f-stops because I tend to shoot a lot wide open.
It is difficult to know how my FE55 compares to other FE55 copies, so asking for second opinion might help me to better understand what to look for and if someone spots a problem I'd love to know.
From f/4 my FE55 seems really crisp (but i'm not an expert..)  , just not sure how well I should expect it to perform at  f/1.8 and f/2.2 ..
Regarding my FE35 I think it looks very consistent from wide open to f/5.6 so I guess I either got a good copy or one that performs consistently below average all over  If i had a resolution chart I would know .. to me my FE35 seems crisp.
Oh, and also, testing is a FUN way to learn more about how to use my cameras !

Still undecided about A6000, A7II and A7S autofocus , they are all very different and I get inconsistent results so need more practice  ( but I love eye-AF for portraits ! but I don't do many of those.. )  I guess I should borrow a D750 or D810 to compare with someday  never really tried DSLR because mirrorless seemed so good for compact travel and video purposes ..

slstr's gear list:slstr's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow