Tips for Switching to Prime Shooting

Started Jul 5, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ERN812 Regular Member • Posts: 481
Tips for Switching to Prime Shooting

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice and tips for making the switch from mostly zoom shooting to mostly prime shooting.  When I used my a57, I shot mostly with the 16-80 when outdoors and the 16-50 indoors.

Since upgrading to the a7 series, I've made the choice to focus more on primes (at least for the normal range focal lengths where I do most shooting).  The choice is motivated by a couple different factors.  First, I have the FE 24-70, but am not all that impressed by the image quality on it.  I'm far from a pixel-peeper, and really try to focus on the "important things" over slight variations in 100% comparisons (I am on this forum, after all, so maybe that says something about how successful I am at that), but the image quality in the 50mm-70mm range is fairly sub-par.  The lower left quadrant of the image is fairly blurry, and it doesn't get that much better when I stop down.  It's far from unusable, but doesn't even match the performance with a comparable field of view and depth-of-field on my 16mp a57--hardly the sort of performance you'd expect upgrading to a top-of-the-line FF camera.  The GM is nice and likely all the sharpness I need, but it's pretty big.

So, those considerations combined with the frequent advice on this forum that shooting primes makes you a better photog, has me making the switch to primes.  I'm curious if people have thoughts or suggestions for how to successfully transition.  My biggest fear, of course, is missing great shots at other focal lengths.  I assume the response there is to focus on the pics you can take, not the ones you can't.  Tough to do psychologically, when time is limited.  Any other advice?

ERN812's gear list:ERN812's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +2 more
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow