Pentax K-1's AF

Started Jul 5, 2016 | Discussions thread
Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,723
Re: Pentax K-1's AF Sucks Really Badly at Tracking

jake14mw wrote:

After reading what everyone was posting here about the K-1's AF, I was shocked to read how poorly dpreview's review described it. The part about not being able to track the bicycle coming at the photographer was not that surprising, but a 50% miss rate with simple centerpoint focusing? How is that possible based on what I have been reading? How can it be that different from Pentaxforums review? There is just too much of a difference, I'm looking for some kind of clarification in my mind.

My thought has been that the K-1 AF was still not up to Canikon for sports, but for everything else was at least close. Which is it?

Here is a sequence that shows what I expect to achieve. The entire burst is here, from first press of the button to when I stopped. OK, OK - too many! I'm trying to be more careful, and would now shoot just two or three!

(Ouch! I've just realised that this shows no skill on my part! I just pointed and pressed, and the camera did the rest! My secret is out).

K-1 in FF mode. D FA 70-200mm lens. Probably center-spot AF. (Hm! 11 photos. The last one timed at 2 seconds after the first. But the K-1 only has 4.4 fps in FF mode! I suspect the first and last were at the extremes of their seconds).

Lightroom, no Photoshop. No cropping until the repeat of the last one. I've kept them small to start with because I think it is still pretty clear that the focusing was OK. But I made the last ones bigger.

Now a cropped version of the last one to show the detail. Have a look at the full JPEG, 3000 px wide.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Ricoh WG-6 Panasonic LX100 Ricoh GR III Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 II +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ET2
(unknown member)
ET2
JNR
(unknown member)
ET2
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ET2
(unknown member)
ET2
SBS
JNR
(unknown member)
ET2
ET2
ET2
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow