Finding shutter count on 80D

Started Jul 4, 2016 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CARinROK New Member • Posts: 2
Finding shutter count on 80D

Trying to find a way to get shutter counts on my 80D. Apparently with every Canon camera released after the 7D Mk II (including the 80D, 5DS, 5DSR and 1DX Mk II) the camera won't return a shutter count to an application through the USB interface. I was using a Mac app called Shuttercount to return the shutter count for a previous Canon but for the new 80D the developer's FAQ reports that "It seems that Canon has removed the shutter count functionality from the remote control interface."  The open source command line program gphoto2 won't return a value either (however it will remotely actuate the shutter from the command line like other Canons).

So if the shutter count isn't available via the USB interface and Canon still doesn't put it in EXIF, is there any way to get a shutter count on these newer cameras, or is Canon just making things difficult for a proprietary reason? Eventually in a few years I'll need this information when I want to sell the camera. Hopefully someone will reverse engineer the funcionality by then.

CARinROK's gear list:CARinROK's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow