Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro vs Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM - which is the better lens?

Started Jun 26, 2016 | Discussions thread
bolador Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Re: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro vs Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM - which is the better lens?

Kristada673 wrote:

I am considering getting one of these second hand for my Nikon D5200. I have searched for comparisons between the 2 of these, but haven't found any. So, can anyone who has used both point out the differences, the pros and cons of each? I've found the 18-50 selling for about $130 and the 17-50 for $190 in a second hand forum.

P.S. One thing about the 18-50's macro capabilities is that it shoots macro only in 1:3, I am aware of that. So, notwithstanding the magnification ratio in macro, how does it compare against the 17-50 otherwise - image quality, functionality, etc?

P.P.S. I couldn't find a tag for the 18-50 f/2.8 macro here.

I have the 18 50 DC EX (not macro).

These are older lenses with no auto focus motor (be aware as your body doesn't either!!!) So you won't have auto focus..

The one mm at the wide angle end is not trivial..

The new one is OS = VR.. the oldest is not..

Some Nikon bodies have some firmware incompatibility with the newer lens.. Sigma released a firmware upgrade but you have to send the lens to them to aply it and is not for free.. so I advice you to test the lens before you pay for it..

bolador's gear list:bolador's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow