Careful of the camera cover glass

Started Jun 23, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doug Pardee
Doug Pardee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,920
Careful of the camera cover glass

Overall, a fine smartphone with fine cameras.

The wide-angle isn't up to the quality of the main camera, and it doesn't have the laser focusing or image stabilization. But the competition has nothing similar.

The main camera is essentially identical to the G4 and V10. Some of the features, like laser focusing, can only be accessed through the supplied camera app. Other features, like scene modes, cannot be accessed through the supplied camera app. The "film simulations" other than B&W aren't very pleasing to me.

Both of the rear cameras -- the main camera and the wide-angle -- are 16:9 sensors. The front "selfie" camera is 4:3.

Apparently the glass (crystal?) cover over the two rear cameras is very fragile, especially around the wide-angle lens (the smaller one, on the right when you're staring at the phone from the back). I managed to break mine somehow while it was in my pocket, and a web search turns up many instances of broken camera covers where the camera wasn't dropped or anything. Perhaps due to high demand, it's difficult to get a replacement camera cover glass right now. I waited over a month for mine.

GPS is pretty good, especially compared to the junk GPS in my old G2.

Android Marshmallow is a bit of a shock... there's no app tray. All of your apps are on the home screen, except for those you've specifically hidden. You can't launch any that are hidden; you'll have to unhide them first. Folders are your friend... make lots of folders to organize the apps you don't need one-touch access to. Or use a custom launcher.

For most of us, the modular feature is a gimmick. I happen to find it quite useful for swapping batteries, so that I don't have to wait for a recharge -- although I do have to shut the phone off while swapping. But none of the "friends" modules appeal to me. (I've heard only great things about the B&O HiFi DAC module, but it's not available in North America. Not yet, anyway.)

-- hide signature --

The open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D +13 more
LG G5
5.3 screen • 16 megapixels (rear) • 8 megapixels (front)
Announced: Feb 21, 2016
Doug Pardee's score
Average community score
LG G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow