Digitizing Slides with a7R II and FE 90

Started Jun 22, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JamesJimmy Regular Member • Posts: 398
Digitizing Slides with a7R II and FE 90

Let me share my results in digitizing slides from about 34 years ago. I picked up a slide carousel from my dad's house to try my hand at digitizing slides. Below is the set of equipment that I used:

Setup of camera and lens:

• Sony a7R II (Manual exposure: 1/80 sec at 100 ISO, AF-S)
  • Cowboy Studio wireless trigger
  • Sony FE 90 (f/8.0, autofocus, filter size is 62)
  • XCSource step up: 62-67, 67-72, 72-77, 77-82
  • XCSource step down 82-77, 77-72, 72-67, 67-62, 62-55
  • Fotodiox step up: 55-58, 58-62, 62-67, 67-72, 72-77
  • Fotodiox set down: 77-72, 72-67, 67-62, 62-58, 58-55, 55-52
  • Nikon ES-1 slide copying adapter: extended about 3/4", filter size is 52

Why the crazy step up and step down filters? I just needed a way to attach the Nikon ES-1 to the FE 90. The filter sizes were different and I needed about 3" extra distance.

Lighting Setup:

• AlienBees B800 flash (1/16 power)
  • Cowboy Studio wireless receiver
  • PC sync cable from wireless receiver to flash

Shooting:

• Blow dust off of slide on both sides using Giotto Rocket Air Blaster
  • Place slide into Nikon ES-1 Slide Copying Adapter
  • Emulsion side (non-shiny side) towards camera
  • Extend the ES-1 to about 3/4" (It can extend up to 1")
  • Adjust the slide to be level
  • Change distance between camera to flash to adjust for exposure (1 to 2 feet from ES-1 to AlienBees)
  • Autofocus and shoot
  • Setup at shooting takes about 30 to 60 sec

Lightroom:

• Crop
  • Temp 5450K
  • Exposure (0 to +2.0) but most were +0.25 to +0.5
  • Highlights: -30, Shadows: +30, Whites: 0, Blacks: +100
  • Clarity: +15 and Vibrance: +15
  • Noise Reduction left at default

Full size image below:

Summary:

Since I already had the everything besides the filter rings and Nikon ES-1, the cost of this setup was very reasonable.  The quality of the capture was very good.  I think that having more resolution in the camera sensor or higher dynamic range in the sensor would provide little or no improvement to the result.  I notice that the dust and paper fiber at the edge of the image is much sharper than the Kodachrome grain.  Now I have about 15 more carousels to process.

Although Kodachrome and the Ektachrome provided a rush of nostalgia, I am so glad that I'm using digital.  The image quality is so much better now: resolution, noise and dynamic range.  Kodachrome pretty much crushes all shadows so there is very little detail left.

This has been a very enjoyable process to finally digitize some of my fathers slides and share with my children and my siblings.  Now my kids can see what I looked like when I was their age.  They wonder why me and my brothers look so nerdy back then.

JamesJimmy's gear list:JamesJimmy's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +7 more
Olympus Air Sony Alpha a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow