Started Jun 12, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aftab
aftab Forum Pro • Posts: 10,424
80D, RAW converters and other ramblings

Spend some time yesterday with 80D and 100-400 II

First, a tracking sequence.

80D tracks large birds brilliantly. How about small birds? No problem tracking small birds against a clear background.

This Kingfisher probably is about 4" long. First image of the sequence with AF points. 9 center points were selected here.

The bird is so small that it actually misses focus points here. But is appears that as long as the bird is withing 9 point zone camera focuses.

Now, the full sequence. 50% cropped from sides and then size reduced to 1000 pixels wide.

I stopped here as I couldn't see the bird anymore and pan.

Now, colors and bokeh of this lens. First two images are OOC JPEGs. Size reduced to 3000 pixels wide.

Bokeh seems quite pleasant, not busy.

Now, my grumbling about LR/ACR.

This is OOC JPEG.

ACR, Adobe Standard. Size reduced, no other editing.

By default Adobe is pushing the histogram to the right and lowering the contrast. As a result color is changed too. Not just this, there is more problem.

Adobe blue is not quite blue.

OOC JPEG

ACR

Comparing with Capture One.

ACR (background is a blue boat, about 20ft away)

Capture One

C1 blue is much closer to real, Adobe is way off.

Adobe's Camera Neutral is better than Adobe Standard in two respects. It's blue is much closer to real blue and the brightness is closer to the real exposure (although still brighter).

Anyways, here is one processed using Adobe Standard. It was late evening, golden hour. Cropped from the sides to move the bird off center, no other size reduction. Focus was on the chest of the bird. You can click on the original to see detail.

So, if you are not too fussed about color you can use Adobe (LR/ACR). Better option would be to use DPP or C1. If you must use LR/ACR then use Camera Neutral. Problem with DPP is that it introduces some artifacts which are hard to remove (only seen when viewed at 100%). Problem with Capture One is that it introduces a bit of magenta color in the shadow areas (can be removed easily). As far as the sharpness/detail goes, all three are virtually same.

More ramblings on tracking.

80D's tracking is excellent as long as you can pan and keep the subject within or around 9 point zone. It is better tha any Canon I have used (non 1D bodies). You can make lots of adjustments to suit your style. With little practice the keeper rate would be nearly 100% with critically focused around 90%. There are still some weaknesses though and the are not necessarily camera's weakness. If the bird is too close and flies erratically you may find it hard to keep the focus points on the subject. And there is one more. White gull in bright light. Keeper rate is about 70% when it flies fast. This is same as my other Canon cameras. Brown gulls fine. Predominantly white birds with some black on them, such as terns, are fine too.

And, if you are not bored yet, one more tracking sequence. Helicopter was passing behind the ropes/cables of a sail boat.

I am not sure why I stopped here. Probably, I thought this was enough for the test.

All in all, very impressed with 80D.

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +25 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow