HDR

Started Jun 6, 2016 | Questions thread
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 20,549
Re: HDR

edhume wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

edhume wrote:

My LX7 has the option of taking three quick shots +/- whatever EV I set, from 1/3 to 3.0. That works great for HDR. It's just not called that.

I must believe the camera you are interested-in has that feature.

That is referred to as "auto-bracketing" .... three separate shots which can be LATER COMBINED via a special HDR software-program.

In-camera HDR is also three shots, (on Panasonic but only 2 on most Nikons), which are then automatically combined into one (HDR) print.

I don't know about the quality of your Canon but I can tell you that the Nikon P-500's HDR was TERRIBLE ... (unusable).

It is very good in the FZ-1000 but many people still prefer manually combining them for sometimes a greater (sometimes abstract) effect which some people love, (like me), but most hate the over-done effect.

Thanks for the term. I have tried that with tripod shots and hand-held shots. Works great with tripod shot. A challenge with the hand-held shots, but that depends on the software you are using.

Interesting: a lot of software expect 3 images. They don't expect to HDR a single image.

On simple understanding, every sensor has its own limited ability to record the light from dark to bright. Under high contrast condition, when the very strong dark & bright exceeds the ability of the sensor, under normal shooting we can only either choose to record more detail in the brighter zone (as a result, less in the dark zone) or vice versa.

HDR is to merger the shadow, mid tone and highlight from each of the 3 images into one. e.g., 3 shots of +1ev, 0ev, and -1ev, HDR will take:

1) the shadow from the image taken from +1ev (shadow area be brightened due to over exposed),

2) the mid tone from the image taken from 0ev (normal exposure for the medium lighted objects); and

3) the highlight from the image taken from -ev (highlight area would be darkened due to under exposed).

As a result, the resulted HDR image would see the shadow not as dark (compare to the image of normal exposure taken at 0ev), the highlight would be darkened having detail revealed (again compare to the one from 0ev) and the normal brighten objects leaving untouch. Therefore, it could expand the ability of a sensor to record the light, we call it "dynamic range" within a single image.

So there is no meaning to HDR a single image (the dynamic range is fixed when it was captured). Of course, by PS we can partially brighten the shadow/darkened the highlight of a single image for the effect of HDR. But not how HDR (in-camera or by PP) works.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow