Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR

Started Jun 7, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
smokinman88
smokinman88 Junior Member • Posts: 44

I've had this lens for about a week and taken quite a few shots with the D810 and the new D500.  It is very sharp and works exceptionally well on the D500 at all shutter speeds using VR.  I did do quite a few test shots using the D810 and can say that this combination does still have an issue with "VR blur" between 1/80- 1/160 sec.  This was varied and did not replicate the same for each shot at the same shutter speed and that could be due to hand holding but it did work surprisingly well at 1/15 to 1/60 sec and of course anything above 1/160.  It's not that the images were necessarily blurry, pixel peeping showed the slight edge blur and normal viewing most looked relatively sharp.  its a little disappointing that it still seems to have an issue with D8XX bodies but certainly not a deal breaker me as I really bought it to use on the D500.

The Lens also pairs well with my older 1.4x II and focus seemed fast and precise, Overall this combination is very light and portable and just as sharp if not sharper than the older 300 f4.

If you are looking for a compact, light system to walk around or hike with this would be a great addition to your kit, just keep in mind the D8XX VR issue before you buy.

smokinman88's gear list:smokinman88's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +21 more
Telephoto prime lens • Nikon F (FX) • 2223
Announced: Jan 6, 2015
smokinman88's score
Average community score
Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon D500 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow