Canon 70D AF reliability?

Started Dec 21, 2015 | Questions thread
ShootMeAlready Contributing Member • Posts: 893
Re: Canon 70D AF reliability?

Thermidor wrote:

mas1506 wrote:

Hi everyone, first time poster long time reader.

This topic seems to get heated often but...I'm considering picking up a 70d refurb from Canon, and was wondering if this is a non-issue now. Has anyone who fairly recently purchased a 70D had similar AF issues?

I know all models can have a few duds but I'm just trying to gauge how recent units new or refurbished have been, and if people are still getting lemons.

I'm honestly a bit freaked out with buying one, having issues, and having to either return it or deal w a warranty repair.

My opinion is if you're getting a refurbished unit with official Canon warranty, you're far less likely to run into a faulty AF unit than with a brand new one. More so if there's a good return policy, or if you can rent the unit for a day or two of field testing.

If you suspect at any point your camera may be a glitched model because it's not focusing correctly, snap multiple shots of the subject and compare the results in live view. If your AF unit is faulty, you should have far more keepers with live view than through the OVF.

The LCD Liveview mode is the most precise AF. It uses DPAF. Its downside is that its not 7 fps, but about 3fps.  Another downside is that the focus boxes are rather huge, so if you want precise focus info. loaf ML with focus peaks, that and video facial tracking provide  the best AF info.

The (eye) viewfinder AF is taken from the 7D, its maxed at 7fps.

Newbies get confused because, it cant focus on blank walls of low contrast. But then again all contrast detection cameras behave likewise.

Many newbies get confused because they use a nifty fifty lens, which notoriously provides poor AF. About 50% of the complaints I read on Canon camera's are about this.

Upgrade users get thrown for a loop as its designed to track fast moving objects, so it can anticipate a movement. What they see is AF initially on the 19 focus boxes, but close inspection reveals when the shutter clicks, that the AF may be outside of the initial box. That's because due to its motion tracking bias, its limited by 19 boxes which are bigger than the 19 they see on the screen, and they even overlap a bit. This is only new to folks who did not upgrade from a 7D. Larger overlapping boxes are used to ensure a fast moving object stays tracked when you click. You can set the camera to not track fast moving objects, and that's what you need to do to prevent AF movement upon click (which too many cry about as a back/front focus, when in fact its not defective). This camera's AF gets maligned so very often because users are not aware of how to use it to get the best out of it.

-- hide signature --

"Shoot Long and Prosper"

ShootMeAlready's gear list:ShootMeAlready's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow