Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 Dc and MC-11 Converter

Started Jun 2, 2016 | Discussions thread
grasshpr
grasshpr Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 Dc and MC-11 Converter

rocketjacket wrote:

Wondering what the experience of using the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 Dc and MC-11 Converter is like on an a6000.

Any issues with the lens stabilation? Or any other issues?

I've got the sigma 17-70mm contemporary and MC-11 with the a6300.  The sigma 17-70mm is very sharp, which is one of the main reasons why I wanted to explore this direction rather than purchase the super expensive sony 16-70mm.  In terms of autofocus, it is pretty snappy in acquiring focus, and the focus accuracy is very good.  Under very poor lighting, this lens and adapter combo will tend to hunt a little bit, but usually will find focus.  In comparison to the speed of autofocus for the Viltrox II adapter, I think they have similar autofocus speeds.  I'd recommend the MC-11 vs Viltrox II adapter only if you have need for some of the other focus modes and focusing areas that are intrinsic of e-mount lenses.  However, DMF is useless with this combo since you have to switch the on-lens AF/MF switch to engage MF mode.

Image stabilization also works really well for this combo, probably on par with most of my other e-mount lenses.  Two caveats of this lens is the weight of this lens and the autofocus motor is a bit loud compared to my other e-mount lenses.  If you can ignore these problems, you will be pleasantly surprised with a lens with very good IQ at an affordable price.

grasshpr's gear list:grasshpr's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow