The best of the less expensive lenses...

Started May 3, 2008 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,699
Re: The best of the less expensive lenses...

I would buy a used pro level lens over a new consumer level lens any day. A 80-200mm f/2.8 ED IF AF-S lens purchased used is going to produce image quality on par with that of the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses in situations where VR is not needed.  The 80-200mm in excellent condition sells for half the cost of the 70-200mm VR I lens and actually anyone who bought the lens new could sell it now for as much money as they paid at that time.

A used Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 lens in excellent condition can be bought for under $1,000 and I would bet that in five years time it will still be worth $1,000. I bought this lens new in 2007 and have used it with the D3, D4, D750, D880e, and D810 cameras over a period of 8 years and expect to be using it for the next 8 years with whatever cameras I own in the future.

A good lens is a long term investment unlike a digital SLR camera. Better to economize on the camera than on the lenses. Sadly too many people spend 80% or more of their photo budget on the camera and then need to economize with their lens purchases for the camera.

-- hide signature --

“We can have huge wealth in the hands of a relatively few people or we can have a democracy. But we can’t have both.” Supreme Court judge Louis Brandeis

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RAL
NRJ
nps
RAL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow