Home-darkroom silver-gelatin prints from digital images

Started Apr 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
OP tim baker Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: Home-darkroom silver-gelatin prints from digital images

I'm prepping to give a meetup group demonstration of this digital to silver printing method. Apart from showing the rig I routinely use, to entice members into trying this themselves, I want to show just how simple and inexpensive it can be to set up. So I kept track of all expenses involved in making a bare-bones version to show members.

Item -- cost:

Cardboard box -- Free
One lens from a 99-cent store pair of +3 eyeglasses. -- 75-cents
Tape -- 10-cents
F-30 hole in plastic cap -- free

Total cost for the Huggyflex* Mark 1: 85-cents [*Huggies diapers box]

The prints aren't quite as sharp as versions made with a process lens, but they're mindblowingly good, considering. An F-30 hole was cut in a plastic cap to place over the lens during exposure. This way reduces aberrations inherent in a single-element lens, but enough linger at the corners and edges to impart the Holga effect, quite appealing at times, and nice to have as an options. At f60 or so almost all softness is gone, the print quite acceptable as a standard print to most eyes. Exposure time climbs to a couple of minutes though. Yell if you'd like to put something like this together yourself and I'll email drawings and how-to.

Tim

-- hide signature --

Tim Baker

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
(unknown member)
Don
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow