Sony FE 50mm f1.8

Started May 23, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Mordi
Mordi Senior Member • Posts: 2,305
Sony FE 50mm f1.8

I purchased this lens because it was cheap - I wanted an alternative to my Leica 50mm f2 Summicron-M and Sony FE 35mm f2.8 ZA for weddings and similar shoots where you need to shoot small groups and closeups quickly, often in low light.

The AF in the 50mm f1.8 is not stellar - which is why I am giving it just 4 stars. It uses a DC motor instead of the standard high-speed motors used in all other FE lenses, including the 28-70mm kit lens. For reasons known only to Sony, this lens uses a weird focusing strategy: when you press the shutter release, it shifts the focus back toward the camera a bit, then "zooms" a bit and locks and shoots when the subject comes into focus.The process takes about a half-second for single-shot stills.

Strange - and likely to be fixed in the first firmware update - but for now, this is how it focuses.

If you are prepared to wait the half-second between press and focus/fire, you won't be disappointed. This lens is brilliantly sharp and contrasty. Maybe not a Zony 55mm equal, but for roughly 1/4 the price, I think it offers good value for money.

Despite the slow focus on single shot, it focuses on action subjects PERFECTLY, as shown in this thread testing the ability of the lens to accurately shoot cars moving at and past me at 20-30mph and the A7II in burst mode.

The slow focus, although quite quiet, is likely to cause issues if you use this lens to make videos with the in-camera mike. It is highly unlikely to be picked up by a Rode shotgun mike in the hot shoe, and surely not if the mike is lavaliere type on the speaker.

All im all,I am pleased with the performance for the purpose I purchased this lens. At $250, it is a great buy - and likely to get even better with the first firmware update.

Mordi

Mordi's gear list:Mordi's gear list
Sony a7 II Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +7 more
Sony FE 50mm F1.8
Prime lens • Sony FE • SEL50F18F
Announced: Mar 29, 2016
Mordi's score
Average community score
Sony a7 II Sony FE 50mm F1.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow