Home-darkroom silver-gelatin prints from digital images

Started Apr 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
Laser JoJo New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Home-darkroom silver-gelatin prints from digital images

tim baker wrote:

Jojo:

I've got an old laser printer. Let's say.....

I thought about this in the past. There are some problems with a laserprinter:

1. When opening any cover or removing drum, it will stop. So have to bridge all sensors.

2. The high voltage inside can kill you. So you have to remove the HV-parts (+ bridging sensors which watch HV).

3. The Laser inside is Infrared 780nm. It will not expose your b/w and not my color paper at all. You have to replace the laser against a visible one.

4. The paper path around the photconductor drum is NOT the same like the path from the laser scanner unit to the photo drum. So you have to create a new paper path.

5. The printer can only print digital and no grey shades. So any halftone picture will be converted to raster image.

6. The fuser unit will melt your emulsion of the paper and the PE-coating and will glue all together to the transport rollers. So you have to sabotage the fuser unit by cutting the heater lamp + faking possible sensor signals.

To do this, you need at least a complete service manual with all schematics of the cables, sensors and circuits. And you need high knowledge in electronics. Most parts of a printer are not documented (for example the laser module). You will have no idea how to change the IR-diode against a blue one.  And you must align the laser focus.  And last, all the safety functions and sensors must be simulated. Nobody knows how they do it. Some printers require that the paper moves over n-sensors in a specific time frame. So the sensors must be switched in a special sequence. Just blocking them gives a paper jam error. Others measure voltages or temperatures (fuser unit), so voltage signals must be simulated.

I guess this all will take a year - if somebody has no job .;-)

There was a guy using an LED-head instead of the printer head of an inkjet printer.

http://1.f.ix.de/make/imgs/76/9/4/3/7/0/8/524cca0d87684a3b.jpeg

But I don't think that the results were near that what we call a photographic image. He wrote that his pixel size was 1x1mm, so 25dpi at all.:-P

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
(unknown member)
Don
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow