Instagram Followers= Better Photographer???

Started May 19, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
patdinco
patdinco Regular Member • Posts: 127
Instagram Followers= Better Photographer???

I was walking around in Sammy's Camera in LA looking for a a camera strap(mine broke). Next to me was another fellow who I suppose was shopping for one as well. We started talking about photography and I asked him some of his favorite photographers. He mentioned x, y, and z and showed me their instagram. He mentioned ," yeah look at the tones bro. this guy has 10k followers. its lit." (exact words) I said oh nice pictures. (and they were nice pictures) he asked the same question in return. I replied "annie leibovitz"(excuse my spelling) and ansel admas. He asked who they were. I showed examples of their work. He said "not that great. tones are off bro. lightroom editing needs work." I chatted some more and we parted ways.  (turned out to be same age as me)

couple  days later I went with a friend to a "conquer la" meet up as they called it. first one ever. curious to see what it was all about. Tons of photographers, street shooting, smoke shots etc. It was honestly a fun experience. As the meet up was ending I oversaw two guys arguing.  One brought up how he was a better photographer than the other cause he had more followers while other replied back saying his "tones were off" and said that he was a founder of some visuals group that had # of followers. both went their own ways when their friends told them to back off.

Now I'm not saying all of the guys at the meetups were like this but As I went to more meetups and met more of these guys,and saw the trending mindsets I realized how much of an impact instagram has made on people's perspective on photography. (yes i know photography is subjective)  but they were really close minded.

They made it seem followers made a better photographer. Now I understand its important to advertise through social media to expand your brand, but many of these individual claimed they were better than people who actually made money off photography because of the amount of followers they had.

Can any of you guys relate? or have met people like this? I just find it interesting since social media has changed so much.

patdinco's gear list:patdinco's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Sony a7 II Sony a6400 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow