UV filter with Fuji 100-400; poor results

Started May 18, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cliff Beard Regular Member • Posts: 461
UV filter with Fuji 100-400; poor results

Has anyone else noticed any deterioration in image quality when using a UV filter on the Fuji 100-400 zoom lens?

The reason I ask is that I took mine out the other day for a shoot with a Hoya pro 1 digital UV filter fitted and got results that were slightly blurred and showed optical aberrations similar to spherical aberrations.  The filter is clean and apparently undamaged but is a few years old.  Upon taking it off the results improved instantly and were much sharper with more contrast....as expected.  I was not shooting into a light source and had the hood fitted.  I was not doing a scientific test and was hand holding, but my point is that the IQ was hugely and obviously better without the filter in every case.

I have no idea why an apparently good UV filter should do this.  It could be causing a slight focus issue, the filter could be a poor one, or it could be interacting with the optics of the lens in an unfavourable way. I have never seen this before.

I have not had chance to test with another filter yet (I mainly use B&W) but thought it worth posting this in case anyone is disappointed with the IQ of the lens and has a filter fitted.  Try taking it off!

Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow