70D vs. Panasonic G7

Started May 17, 2016 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AgatePassPhoto New Member • Posts: 4
70D vs. Panasonic G7

First off, I am a very happy Canon 6D owner. It does great in low light. I find myself more and more being drawn toward sports and wildlife. For this I have a Tamron 150-600mm lens, which performs well. However, it is a beast, and I find the 6D's autofocus too often lacking. I am thinking of two options. The idea would be too have a compact telephoto package in my bag along side the 6D. Both options involve purchasing a Canon 200mm 2.8 L II lens, as this is very sharp and compact. And used it is affordable.

Option 1:

Canon 70D. With a 1.4x Extender. This should give me an effective focal length of 320 without the extender, and a decent 448mm with the extender. 70D has a good autofocus system.

Option 2:

Panasonic G7 with the T Smart Metabones adapter. It sounds like autofocus works well with the 200mm. I would get a 400mm effective reach. I'm betting autofocus won't be as great as the 70D. However, I'm very curious what I could do with the 4k photo mode. So often you know where the athlete or animal is going to be. Can set up, get the moment, then in post pick the one image that fits. I believe the 4k photo mode crops the image by 1.3, so I would have more like 520mm.

Opinions?

Bill

AgatePassPhoto's gear list:AgatePassPhoto's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow