Home-darkroom silver-gelatin prints from digital images

Started Apr 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
OP tim baker Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: Home-darkroom silver-gelatin prints from digital images

JoJo:

"For me, this is a kind of camera using paper instead of film."
That's exactly it.

First tests with this idea used a 1080 monitor, borderless 5x7s having 216dpi resolution. When shown to civilians I'd ask it they could see the dots that make up the picture. Most, understandably, had no idea what I meant, assuming the print was conventional. If asked to look very closely for dots a high % failed to see them. Anything above 200dpi is fully satisfactory to anyone not intentionally dot sleuthing.

With your system, at what size image can dots be seen by a casual observer?
What's to prevent you from producing some same-resolution version of it in commercial numbers?

So if the correct g/b filtering is placed between projector lens and paper a monitor can generated color prints color-identical to those from a standard enlarger. True?

Are you familiar with the old Widelux cameras? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widelux Using the same principles, it seems that the projected resolution of a monitor can be doubled or tripled--depending on the geometry of the monitor--a 4k generating a pure 11 or 12k print image. Possibly adaptable to your system also. Once present dust has settled I'll forward how-to ideas, if interested.

Tim

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
(unknown member)
Don
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow