Which is the widest angle lens for all Nikon and Canon in all formats?

Started Apr 20, 2016 | Discussions thread
rnclark Senior Member • Posts: 2,803
Re: Which is the widest angle lens for all Nikon and Canon in all formats?

Vcize wrote:

Roger, how do you deal with the coma issues those lenses have at F1.4? Do you just make sure there is enough overlap in your stitched images that you never have to use the corners of any image? Do you have to do this manually or will most stitching software use the non-coma sections?

In a mosaic, I try for about 30% overlap, so spherical aberration (popularly called coma) is a non issue at scene boundaries. In the outer corners it can show but usually those corners get cropped because they are far outside a rectangular frame after projection. Then with a mosaic, one is not enlarging as much, so even if the aberration were present it would be very small even in a large print.

I use ptgui pro and I usually hand mask out the worst parts of the images to be sure they are not included. PTGui usually but not always chooses the higher resolution parts of the frames, but I tend to want to control the selections.

Edit: I should add, the Sigma Art 35 f/1.4 has the best performance wide open of any other focal length. The new Canon 35 f/1.4 is similar (very slightly better). The 20, 24, and 50 mm f/1.4 lenses (all manufacturers) show more spherical aberration.

Roger

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow