What free software can convert AVCHD video

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Marcus Sundman Regular Member • Posts: 235
Re: What free Linux software can convert AVCHD video?

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

Well, that is allegedly a huge possible problem with AVCHD. But although I sometimes have synch problems with it, I often do not. If you have solid information on the file formats and exactly what's in those files, I would be very grateful.

I do not, and I would, too.

I just have experience from filming the same thing with several cameras, and then just taking the mts files and trying to mix them together. They are all in sync individually, and I can make them so that they are in sync with each other at the start and at the end, but in the middle they go all over the place, completely out-of-sync. It's a huge PITA!

As far as I can tell, there is no open documentation. You presumably have to pay big money for the documentation, and very possibly pay in perpetuity. Transcoding is computationally intensive, possibly lossy, and requires proprietary software, much of which is buggy. And for practical reasons, because it allegedly requires the whole damned file structure to preserve the video, it's an absolute pain to save and archive unless you do transcode it. I have no respect for that kind of architecture. It's a shame, really.

I completely agree!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow