B&W Processing - Candid Street Series

Started May 15, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,254
B&W Processing - Candid Street Series

bowportes and others requested some background on monochrome processing - based on some B&W street candids I'd produced using the X-Pro1

The original images were all shot RAW, and converted using ACR in PS.

Basic levels adjustments were made in ACR, exposure, white and black levels, to ensure good use of the dynamic range. I usually just black so I clip at least a little of the black area of an image - hard blacks in the image enhance the impression of sharpness, give it a try, it's a nice effect and easy to control in post.

No sharpening is applied in ACR - All additional sharpening is done using NIK's excellent sharpening tools.

WB is left as shot in ACR

Once the color file is imported into PS - I then switch to NIK SilverFX for mono post processing.

They have a number of preset recipes you can try - High Structure Smooth is good for pulling out detail without getting that fake HDR look to the image - and I'll often combine this with a B&W film profile suck as their Ilford PanF 50 ASA.

Play around with the color filter selection in the film profiles area to really make the most of the tonality - I typically use a yellow filter (as I used to do in the real film days) - although orange and even red can be effective depending on image content. They can improve skin tone, and make skies much more dramatic.

Finally I apply a slight lens vignette where appropriate - or if I have a street scene with bright sidewalk, I'll drop in a slight ND grad at the bottom of frame to tame the glare and ground the image.

Given that the whole NIK suite is now free I believe - I'd suggest getting the set including SilverFX to anyone serious about post processing their images.

Essential tools IMHO

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +34 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow