Best 35mm System for Architectural Photography?

Started May 13, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paul20
Paul20 Senior Member • Posts: 2,783
Best 35mm System for Architectural Photography?

Hello Sony people,

I’ve asked this question before but technology has moved on and so I hope you will forgive me for asking again.

Could you please advise whether the Sony A7rII or Nikon d810 would be the better choice for architectural photography where 18 and 24mm Tilt Shift lenses are necessary.

I currently have an A7r with the two Canon tilt shifts which I use a lot. I have used the d800e before that. Whist I liked the sensor of the d800e I found the Nikon P/C lenses had quite a lot of distortion and were not super sharp, that was primarily why I switched to Sony and I am now considering to upgrade to the A7rII.

I was ready to order the A7rII when I read about the sensor in the d810 and was impressed by the higher dynamic range of the d810 compared to the A7rII. This is very attractive to me as I can see significant advantages when taking interior photographs especially with windows in the scene or at dusk.

36Mp is enough for me in terms of printing needs but I think there probably is a perceptible difference in image quality at smaller image sizes with the higher MP of the A7rII. According to DXO the A7rII has the better colour depth too.

So I think the question comes down to the advantage of the higher DR of the Nikon with old P/C lenses [?] vs the added resolution of the Sony in conjunction with better Canon T/S lenses. Is that be an accurate summary ?

I am only interested in understanding what will provide the best image quality with T/S lenses at base ISO. I always use a tripod and 18 and 24 focal lengths. I don’t care about weight or the relative cost, ergonomics, Auto focus, WIFI or anything like that. I have no loyalty to either brand. I know both cameras are excellent but for this very specific purpose can you say which would be the best system in terms of image quality?

Thank you for your help,

Regards,
Paul

Paul20's gear list:Paul20's gear list
Leica M9 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH
Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow