D500 CSM F1 Setups - Curious What Everyone's Doing?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jim F
Jim F Senior Member • Posts: 2,356
D500 CSM F1 Setups - Curious What Everyone's Doing?

Enough of us have D500's and have likely tweaked custom settings to taste depending upon the type of shooting you do. I'm always open to a better idea than what I've done in my setup.

I'm not suggesting at all that one person's setup is better than another. To each his/her own and YMMV. So, what's yours? Here's mine and a few notes where appropriate (my bias is towards wildlife shooting):

PV - AE lock (reset on release) - Note: Push to lock, push to unlock (or after shutter release or meter times out). To lock exposure when I want to focus and recompose:

Fn1 and rear dial - Select Shooting Banks - I have also have Extended Shooting Banks "On" which, as I discovered by total accident, allows me to have, for example, Aperture Mode in one bank and Manual Mode (Auto ISO) in another bank and I don't need to take my eye from the viewfinder and/or play with the mode dial on the top left if I want to switch on the fly from one to another.

Fn2 - the one on the left rear of the body - Top Menu Item in My Menu - a3 Focus Tracking with lock on. That said, at present, I moved AF Fine Tune to the top My Menu item temporarily so that I can easily reach that item while I play with AF fine tuning.

AF-On - AF-On

Joystick - selecting AF point

Joystick Press - AF ON and Focus Mode (have it set for Group AF) as I would normally be in AF-C and AF single point. Can get to Group AF quickly.

Bracket - Default

Movie Button Press (in still shooting) - Default. I don't know what to do with this button now that the ISO button has moved next to shutter release. Any ideas?

Lens Focus Function Buttons - Have not given this much thought. I have a 300/2.8 VR1 and a 200-400 VR2 which have the corresponding buttons to work with this function. However, the Joystick Press setup (see above) seems like an easier solution.

So, have you found some undiscovered nugget that makes your shooting life easier? Lots of creative folks out there. What works best for you?

-- hide signature --

Jim F - Prescott, Arizona, USA
http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow