Sound quality of DSLR for video

Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
jaba Contributing Member • Posts: 651
Re: Sound quality of DSLR for video

Apfelbaum wrote:

I've tried many different ways: trying to plug straight in to the camera from a mixer or a wireless feed and the result has always been the same... less then stellar. I do believe in good audio (it's what sells good video). Then I switched to using the same wireless in a stand alone recorder, better but not great. My best results were using a mixer with the wireless plugged into it and a feed to the recorder. Weird as that is, that's the way it is. Good audio costs money.

I use a JuicedLink RM222 with a small Sennheiser MKE400 installed atop the D800. No need for synchronising afterwards, and the sound is stellar. Really, no hiss at all even during moments of absolute silence. The 9 V battery of the RM222 lasts ages, and the AAA of the MKE400 too... if I do not forget to switch it off.

Of course, when there is ambient noise, nothing replaces getting close to the source: A relatively cheap micro put close to it and the trick is done.

My two cents.

jaba's gear list:jaba's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow