D5500 First Impressions and AF-P lens

Started May 2, 2016 | Discussions thread
NCB Regular Member • Posts: 262
Re: D5500 First Impressions and AF-P lens

Bought the D5500 a few weeks ago, initially tried it with the previous 18-55 zoom but swapped to the 35mm prime. The jury's out on it at the moment. Main question is colour. I shoot mainly landscapes and have a Df and D3100. In spite of being at opposite ends of the price range they produce surprisingly similar pics, particularly as regards colour, and I like it (OK the Df has a sort of extra depth in the colour, but the D3100 isn't far off). The D5500 is different, even though I'm trying similar settings. There's nothing actually wrong with the colour but it's missing that Nikon zing I'm used to. There's a very clean look to it, maybe overprocessed, which could work for some subjects but not for landscapes. This is with jpegs.

Other things: the D5500 VF is smaller than the D3100. The grip is supposed to be improved but I reckon the D3100 is better.

I have more tinkering to do. I really bought it because it's better for focus-stacking, which I haven't tried yet.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Nikon D80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow