Request to new K-1 owners

Started Apr 29, 2016 | Discussions thread
Sophie Wilson Senior Member • Posts: 1,766
Re: Request to new K-1 owners

Some more casual testing followed - a nice day out and a day in the conservatory doing more directed testing.

First comment is something that came as a surprise - the Tamron 28-300 XR Di and the Pentax 28-105 differ over exposure - the Tamron superzoom exposes things darker, the Pentax lighter for the same scene. e.g. one will be 1/320 and the other 1/200. Same field of view, too (both lenses "28" setting shows the same image area). With no exposure compensation the 28-300 looks like my TZ100 in exposure terms while the 28-105 is bright enough to blow out some white clouds. I'm not sure I actually care - in any given situation only one of the lenses will be in use, indeed I only bought the 28-105 due to SRS Microsystems special offer!

Pixel shift mode seems useless to a landscape photographer - I've not had a pixel shift photo of the outdoors in either of the two modes produce an image without wierdness. Inside, its clear that pixel shift can be better where detail is in contrasting colours (red/blue, for example) but even then the usage is limited, it took about a second to acquire the images, as a clock with a second hand testified!

GPS system runs nicely, even getting an "orange" lock inside. Not had to replace the battery so far - 682 images with GPS on. But I did turn the back screen off for all but instant review.

The Tamron 28-300 and Pentax 18-35 are small lenses - the K1 with the Tamron on it will fit in a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 with the 18-35 nestled on top or underneath. This is a shock, since I can't take a long zoom and ultrawide in that bag with my other cameras - D7200 plus Tamron 16-300 and Tamron 10-24 doesn't fit, Sony A7r plus 24-240 and 16-35 really doesn't fit. The D800 doesn't even go in the bag! John has a Mirrorless Mover 25 to fit his K5, Sigma 18-300 and Sigma 10-20...

I'm getting a little annoyed at the tiny LCD - it's OK, but not a great choice by Pentax, we didn't need so many more knobs.

So - still happy

Sophie (with an increasing amount of LBA)

Sophie Wilson's gear list:Sophie Wilson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic ZS200 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow