Home-darkroom silver-gelatin prints from digital images

Started Apr 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
OP tim baker Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: Home-darkroom silver-gelatin prints from digital images

Jeffcpic:

Stat or process cameras sure would work. That's a good suggestion. And like you say, they are as cheap as dirt, and there's still a few available. If someone is handy they could adapt a monitor to one and make prints. For most home darkrooms they may be too big and bulky. And they don't allow use of an easel--it's good to be able to change print size and shape and border size and shape at will, and move the easel around hunting for ideal framing, this conveniently done using a traditional bladed easel. But someone halfway clever could likely work around this to their satisfaction. I'd first make sure my $2,000 monitor would be happy resting belly up or belly down. For someone interested in making traditional prints from digital photos I'd recommend a particular toe-in-the water model: The red, box-like version second from the top in the linked photos. It's just 9.5"x11.5"x22", small enough to rest on a closet shelf or under a bed when not in use. It cost just $25 in materials and less than a day to make--plus the cost of the lens ($40 and up on ebay). Set the rig level and square to the monitor, the right distance away for the wanted image size, focus by sliding the ground glass--actually frosted Scotch tape on plastic. Set the paper in place... If anyone wants drawings I'll post them on Flickr.

-- hide signature --

Tim Baker

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
(unknown member)
Don
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow