K-3 II Complaints

Started May 1, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
leekil Regular Member • Posts: 145
K-3 II Complaints

I got a K-3 II a while back, and though I like it overall, I have some complaints about it that I think have a significant impact. I’ve been meaning to post this for a while, and recently I thought it might get lost in the K-1 threads, but the lively response to Richard Murdey’s recent post gave me the kick in the pants to finally do it.

I generally photograph people candidly, and my issues are related to that type of usage. I’d be interested to hear if these things bother others, whether they do a similar type of photography or not. I’m coming from a K-5 II (and before that, a K-5), so many of the things I mention are changes from the previous cameras.

1) Increased startup delay from power off

I often grab for my camera to take a candid shot, and the startup time could affect whether or not I get that shot. The K-3 II takes somewhat longer than the K-5 II, and seems to be just enough longer that I miss shots. I looked this up a while ago in the reviews, and recall that the K-5 startup time was 0.5 seconds vs. the K-3’s 0.8 sec. Apparently this is significant enough to affect my photography. But why would I turn the camera off, and not just leave it in standby mode? Well, that brings me to #2….

2) Control buttons easily accidentally pressed

I generally carry my camera with the strap over my shoulder. This is less in-your-face than having it around my neck, facing people, and puts people who are wary of cameras less on-guard. However, the buttons on the back of the camera sometimes get pressed as it bumps against my body when I walk, which can cause the settings to get altered inadvertently. This was never a problem with the K-5; it was sometimes a problem with the K-5 II; and now it is a common occurrence with the K-3 II. My assumption with the K-5 II vs. the K-5 was that a less stiff button type was used, possibly to reduce cost. With the K-3 II, perhaps the same type of thing happened, but it also appears that the buttons are more raised off the back of the camera (the surface the buttons are on is somewhat more raised than the LCD screen), so that is probably a significant factor. In addition, the camera is heavier, so that could exert more force on the buttons as well.

3) Delay between single-shots

I almost always use single-frame drive mode; I don’t really have much reason to use the continuous shooting modes, and in general it has served me well to do a couple extra shutter clicks if I need more than one photo in quick succession. But on the K-3 II, compared to my earlier cameras, it seems that I can easily push the shutter release faster than the camera will shoot. It seems kind of weird; I’m not clicking at 10 fps or anything. The shutter rate should not be affected by the drive mode other than automatically triggering repeated shots at an interval; it seems almost like there is some mechanism that limits the camera from taking another picture until enough time has passed.

4) Overexposure

Not sure if this is a design change or something unintentional, but the K-3 II’s metering seems to provide a greater exposure than the K-5 series did. My photos look a bit overexposed (i.e. colors a little lighter than they should be), so I usually use it with the exposure compensation set to -0.3.

Anyone else notice these things? Are they a problem for you?

Lee

Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow