D500 and batteries

Started Apr 28, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OrionImages New Member • Posts: 1
D500 and batteries

I am a newbie here but been shooting Nikon for 40 years or so.

I received my D500 8am on Monday...picked it up directly from UPS because I could not wait!  It's a really good thing I had my full bag with me as I found an interesting problem.  I am not sure it applies only to my D500, but it is worth noting if not.

I shoot enough each day with multiple bodies that I keep a good stash of batteries in my bag, in my office, etc.  I popped in a battery and off I went shooting.  I ran through the menu with a battery from my D7100 to work on settings and making sure things that needed to be off were off, then placed a fully charged battery in the camera and went shooting.

1) First observation was that after 250 images I had only 38% battery life remaining.  This appears very consistent between shoots.  Not happy about this since I believe I read the CIPA stated either 1400 or 3400 images per full charge...either way not close to what I have been getting.  I would love to know what others have been getting and any solutions.

2) Second, and most critical observation, break out your checkbooks or credit card as you will need to apparently use ONLY a Nikon branded battery.  I have a stash of both 3rd party and Nikon branded batteries that I have used without issue in D7000's, D7100's, D7200's, and the D800.  When I placed any of 4 models of 3rd party EN-#L15 battery in the camera it showed completely dead.  Not a whimper of life.  Pop in a Nikon brand battery and all is well...at least it shows fully charged and I can go shooting a few hundred photos before popping in another.

I attempted to contact Nikon regarding the issue as it appears there is now a chip that checks to see if you are using a genuine Nikon battery, and if not it will not allow you to power up.  Nikon has only referred me to the manual where they state (unsurprisingly) that you should only use genuine Nikon parts and pieces.  What next, they lock out 3rd party lenses?

So, anyone else have this issue with 3rd party (non-Nikon) batteries?  I would hate to send the camera back so early, especially since nothing else appears to be amiss except for the actual battery life.

OrionImages's gear list:OrionImages's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Nikon D500 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7200 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow