Dream portrait lens - Sonnar FE 1,8/135mm?

Started Apr 22, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
spacemn Senior Member • Posts: 1,743
Dream portrait lens - Sonnar FE 1,8/135mm?

I can't get the Sony 1.4/85 GM out of my head. I am thinking about selling my beloved FE 1.8/55 to finance it, but I would probably regret that.

However, one lens that could become the ultimate lens for me, at least on the non-wide angle side, would be an FE 1,8/135mm Zeiss Sonnar Lens.

Today's Sonnar A 1,8/135mm is a legendary lens. It is incredibly compact for what it can do and has an incredible close focus distance of 72cm(!). It weigh roughly only 100 grams (3-4 oz) more that the FE 85 GM and only slightly bulkier (it also lack an AF motor - due to its screw driven AF'ing nature).

At the same time only the freakish Canikon 2/200 lenses beats it for absolute aperture size wide open and who would even think about walking around with those or use them for dynamic portrait sessions. The Sonnar 1,8/135mm has a aperture opening of 75mm. Comparatively the 2.8/70-200 lenses have 71mm. The FE 85 GM or the Otus 85mm for that matter have 61mm aperture openings. The Sonnar 135 is a unique lens and can output a very distinguished look.

In short, if the Sonnar 1,8/135mm comes out as an AF'ing FE lens, then this would be my dream lens.

If it can be kept under 1 kg (or 2 lbs even) and not much bigger than the current A-mount version, then I would use it for walking around, landscapes, portraits, you name it!

Maybe, this lens is utopian thinking. The AF motor for such a lens will have to be strong, something we probably only see in white bulky lenses, leading to a massive lens that I would not like to walk around with

Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow