Please help to improve ISO Perf in Low Light Shots.

Started Apr 18, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mo Al
Mo Al Regular Member • Posts: 406
Please help to improve ISO Perf in Low Light Shots.

Hi All, thanks a lot for looking at this thread and all your advice!

* Whenever I shoot above 1250 ISO in my A7 II, the pictures turn out from undesirable (2000 ISO) to horrible (3200 ISO).

* Lighting condition isn't totally dark but outdoors where subject is partially lit. I'm not expecting A7S performance here but something that I'm happy to share with others.

* I use A7 II with 70200G F4, SEL 5518 and SEL 1635 F4 (though no slouch, seldom in the night) in that order.

* Always shoot manual, RAW with Wide & Manual Focus, F4 to F8 and SS around 1/500th to 1/1000th.

* Latest incident (please see the attached pic) was when I shot a traditional drum performance in an open theatre that was lit with coloured lights. I was in the front row and within about 10 feet approximately from the performers. Shot in APS-C Mode on using the 70200G. Aperture was set from F4 to F5.6 mostly. Personally prefer not to go above 1250 ISO in A7 II but had to crank up to 3200 ISO to keep the SS down to avoid subject blur.

* I shoot full Manual and Post process using ACR (Latest update available) and Nik DFine2 for Noise Reduction.

** Considering I regularly see forumers saying 3200 ISO is good in A7 II, I feel I'm doing something wrong during capture or during post processing.

* Could someone please help so I could improve the quality of my shots?

* Is it possible that I'm expecting too much out of A7 II and for the performance that I require, I need to upgrade to R II or S II?

* Street and night shots are my favourite, so would be extremely grateful for any suggestions offered! Many thanks.

ISO 3200, F8, 1/750, A7 II, 70200G F4.

Mo Al's gear list:Mo Al's gear list
Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony RX100 V Ricoh GR III Leica Q2 Sony a9 +9 more
Nikon Df Sony a7 II Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow