Photo File Naming

Started Feb 6, 2014 | Discussions thread
Pontoneer Senior Member • Posts: 2,162
Re: Photo File Naming

IGotShot wrote:

When you import your photos to your workflow software, how do you name the file? It's simple to just keep the camera give name "IMG_1234", however I want a unique serial name for each file and I know I will shoot more than 9999 photos in the life of the camera.

I'm thinking of using the naming convention IMG_1234_A, where A goes from A to Z so every time the counter reaches 9999, the letter dials up one. This will give at least 9999 x 26 combinations.

My camera names my files IMGP_1234 etc , and they are imported into LR with these numbers . Since only my first use of the camera started on 0001 , any job these days starts off on the next available number and goes from there .

When I export my processed JPEGS , LR is set to start the batch from each job at 1_  followed by whatever the file number from the first RAW image was , and incrementing up from there . Since it is most unlikely I will start two jobs on the same file number , it is highly probable that my filenames will remain unique . By using JPEG file names which include the original RAW filenames , it is easy to go back to the originals if ever needed .

My files are stored on my own archival system with my own structure of named folders , taking account of job type , location , date and customers . While I don't name individual files they are stored in named folders and sometimes have keywords attached in LR .

I only use LR as a processing tool and not for organisation since my folder system was established before LR came out .

-- hide signature --

With kind regards

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +42 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow