9. Examples – High light levels and low light levels
10. Examples – Software bugs
11. Examples – Hand-crafting
12. Examples – Macros
13. Examples – Ianperegian's test charts
14. Examples – JPEG or raw for dSLR?
15. Examples – Delights and inspirations

1. Introduction

First things first. I want to thank the forum members who have let me use some of their images, and have pointed to me to other sources of suitable images. I am very grateful. Thank you cainn24, aoc46, IAMAI, Mikedigi, spike29 , kohinoor, Ianperegian, Steen Bay and sherman_levine. Your input has been really helpful.

I have put all the image animations used in this post, including your images, into an album here at Flickr for future reference and use in discussions of raw and JPEG. I have put into the title of your images “NOT MY IMAGE – Captured by dpreview forum member “ and your forum username. If you would prefer not to have your images in that album please let me know and I will remove them and not use them in any other context.

This is going to be a lengthy set of posts, with a lot to read for those who are interested. Still, I know many people much prefer to look at photos, so I'm going to start this marathon with some images. As it happens, they were all captured by the same person, cainn24. I will be using other members' photos later on.

If you click on the Original size link you will see each image flicking back and forth between the out of the camera JPEG and a JPEG derived from a paired raw file (i.e. they were raw+JPEG captures). All I will say at this point about the processing is that the processed images (in this case they are all raw images) have not had any image-specific processing - I have put them all through the same batch process, each one using exactly the same parameters. I have not forgotten about post processing JPEGs. There will be a lot of examples of that too in these posts.

The five images in this post were captured with an FZ1000 and were chosen by Cain because they are challenging post processing scenarios. The six images in the following post were captured with an FZ200. It is the processing used on these and many other images, raw and JPEG, that I will be discussing in the rest of these posts.

Example 01 – FZ1000, ISO 800

Click on Original size below to see this flip between versions

Example 02 – FZ1000, ISO 320

Example 02a – 100% Crop of Example 02

Example 03 – FZ1000, ISO 125

Example 04 – FZ1000, ISO 125

Example 05 – FZ1000, ISO 125

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow