Astro with K5,A*135/1.8 and A*400/2.8

Started Apr 15, 2016 | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chris gunn
chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 9,375
Astro with K5,A*135/1.8 and A*400/2.8

I drove up to Arthur's pass again when it had a clear forcast. The scenery on the drive was the same as usual.

One problem I hadn't considered was the half moon, which didn't help, though I I didn't have to use the flashlight as much! See how it lights up the hills at 8mm:

Still, it gave me an opportunity to focus the 400 on the moon:

I'd been wanting to photograph M42 in Orion, and it was fairly close to the moon. I have no tracking mount nor Astrotracer. I didn't do any stacking. My PPing may not be the best:

And a crop:

A dim subject is the Large Magellanic Cloud. I tried the 135 at 1.8 at the default infinity. I captured a shooting star?

At the top is the Tarantula nebula. I put the 400 back on (this is about as dim as this lens can handle):

I put the 135 back on and tried to find the Carina nebula:

Bottom right are the Southern Pleiades. This is F2.2, at F1.8 these bright stars get a blue halo (different PP):

I trained the 400 on the Southern Pleiades (Good work from the lens I thought):

And on Carina nebula, but for some reason I used 6s which is too long and ruined the shot:

Oh, but for a a camera with Astrotracer, and FF to help aim the camera.

Criticism and advice welcome! Hope you enjoyed my little journey.

-- hide signature --

cheers!
Gunn
-- Get a big lens and get closer™.

chris gunn's gear list:chris gunn's gear list
Pentax K-1 II
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow