Convince me I don't need f/2.8!

Started Apr 4, 2016 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
millsyc New Member • Posts: 17
Convince me I don't need f/2.8!

Apologies for the clickbaity title! First post, bit of a doozy of a question. Been looking at upgrading from my 70-300 VR zoom for ages, and just cannot decide on what to buy and hoping for some input.

Currently I've narrowed it down to the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR I or the Nikon 70-200 f/4. I would prefer the Nikon over the Sigma/Tamron as whilst they're good, frankly I just want the lenses to work reliably on my nikon bodies. I also have a Nikon 50-300 I never use but bought extremely cheap. As I am looking at a big road trip around Europe soon, the weight of the f/2.8 is not such a big concern with regard to portability, but I'm more concerned I'll use it less due to the weight. From what I can see, disregarding weight, both have similar dimensions so size for packing is somewhat irrelevant.

Key things I am chasing are:

Better weather sealing than the VR, I would like to use the lens in more challenging conditions (rain etc) and having a lens that does not extend would be handy for that.

Increased IQ over the 70-300 at higher apertures, I understand the IQ increase at lower apertures of f/8 or so will be relatively small.

Increased low light usability - Europe is pretty cloudy and my 70-300 already needs a lot of ISO sometimes for images.

My body is the D7100, which is what's making this complicated as it's already got some flexibility in low light as it is okay at higher ISO's. From what I've seen, the f/4 produces images of an equivalent IQ, it just lacks that extra stop. But that extra stop weighs a *lot*. I figured the VR I would be fine for the f/2.8 as the lens had weak corners which apparently isn't an issue on DX, and I don't want the focus breathing. It's also cheaper

Anyone tried both for casual wildlife photography and have an opinion? Do I really need f/2.8? Am I being silly?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow