My mini review of Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC DN and samples

Started Apr 4, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
privater
privater Regular Member • Posts: 200
My mini review of Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC DN and samples

I got this lens for about a week, I really like it so I plan to write a mini review about it:

The whole package comes with lens shade but no pouch. also there is a notice about enable auto correction because it's heavily relay on it for lateral correction.

It's well balanced on A6000, It's inner focus, takes 52mm filter and made of metal and plastic.

I really like shinny C logo imprinted on the metal casing, it's focus by wire and manual focus wheel is made of rubber.

The aperture blade is 9, it's round even in smallest aperture not like Sony.

And also everything is Made in Japan (even the lens cap).

And Lightroom 6.4 have full support with this lens:

Here are some sample photos I took recently:

So the review parts:

Pros:

1. f1.4 is usable indeed, it does have low resolution, but is very usable.
  2. The bokeh is smooth
  3. 11.81" (30 cm) min focus is very useful, especially from a standard focus viewpoint.
  4. Support all A6000 focus mode, AFC, eye-focus, works like any Sony E lens
  5. Focus is silent like Sony lens, no noisy in Video
  6. Build quality is very solid: mixed with metal and plastic, the minimal design is very matching Sony's camera.
  7. It comes with in body lens profile and is supported with A6000 without any firmware update. What's better is Lightroom 6.4 have full lens profile support.
  8. weight 9.35 oz (265 g) a very balanced setup for A6000 alike.
  9. 4 Years warranty.
  10. affordable price without break your bank

Cons:

1. Focus speed is on mediocre side: better than Sel50f18, slower than Sel24f18, about pair with Sel28f2
  2. f1.4 lose a lot resolution, it comes better with f2, razor sharp after f2.8
  3. The minimal focus with f1.4 have lots of spherical aberration mixed with LoCA, so choose your subject wisely.
  4. Lens relay heavily on lateral correction especially distortion, which is very similar to FE 28mm f2

Bottom line: Very solid choice for the bang of buck.

Also there are some issues I'd like to add:

f1.4 is very bright, and A6000 only got 1/4000s shutter speed, so better take a ND filter in sunny days. Really hope Sony can introduce e-shutter with higher speed.

The good new is A6000's raw have vast DR, and push back 2 stops of light is very easy in Lightroom.

The original photo with 1/4000s shutter :

And push back 2 stops of light:

And still got all details even with almost wide open:

privater's gear list:privater's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +13 more
Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sony a6000 Sony FE 28mm F2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MXC
MXC
MXC
MXC
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow