Manual focus over-ride operation

Started Apr 3, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Danl Johnson New Member • Posts: 22
Manual focus over-ride operation

Else where, a user complained about the function of the manual-focus refinement function:  "Then it auto magnifies, as if this helps anything?"

This auto-magnification is a CAMERA menu setting:
MENU -> Cogwheel -> 1 -> MF Assist -> OFF to get rid of the annoying auto-magnification.
  This feature is useful doing still life with a tripod, not otherwise, and users should turn it off by default. (This menu item's usefulness seems, to me, not obvious from the title -- Auto-Mag would be preferable to MF Assist. But what do I know?)

The manual over-ride on the 90G macro lens works like this:
1. When both camera and lens are in Auto mode, and the shutter is pressed halfway, then rotating the focus ring simply refines focus, whether or not the focus ring is retracted a click to manual mode.
2. But if the shutter is not depressed, retracting the focus ring to manual mode refocuses the lens on the last distance focused upon.
3. If the camera is set to manual focus, then the lens focus ring responds to manual focus in either the retracted ("manual") or extended ("auto") position.

I hope this helps at least one user.

This is a fine lens.  I used manual-focus over-ride extensively years ago with the wonderful Contax 645 SLR, and I'm grateful to have it back with this lens.

DJ

Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
Telephoto macro prime lens • Sony FE • SEL90M28G
Announced: Mar 4, 2015
Danl Johnson's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow