Canon 430 EX III RT overheating

Started Apr 3, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Muresan Bogdan Contributing Member • Posts: 511
Canon 430 EX III RT overheating

So I had a couple of Canon 430 EX II for 2-3 years and they served me flawlessly. I used them on camera and off camera with a Pixel King TTL Trigger set. When the Canon 430 EX III RT came out I sold my 430 EX II and triggers and got three Canon 430 EX III RT.

This weekend I had the first event with them and used only on camera flash. Unfortunately I got a lot of overheating problems with all three of them. Does anybody have any experience with this? I never recall my 430 EX II slowing down only after 20 shots and not even at full power as i am setting the exposure in camera for ambient and only using the flash as fill light. The manual says 32 consecutive flashes at full power before overheat protection kicks in but I never got there. Also I took the batteries out and they were not even warm. I once tried a Yongnuo set of flashes and those got in overheat protection all the time. Only difference was batteries inside were burning and also the flash head was getting warm on the outside. On the Canon I cannot feel anything but I still get an overheat message. I read that the 600 EX RT does not have this. Can anybody confirm?!

Muresan Bogdan's gear list:Muresan Bogdan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow