Is it better to use FX lens on DX camera ?

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
GlennW Senior Member • Posts: 1,944
Re: Is it better to use FX lens on DX camera ?

Mahoonse wrote:

Tony Northrop on his youtube channel on photography has a video "20 things most photographers get wrong" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsWGkUT5A_Y. One of the things he mentions is using FX lenses on DX bodies. I'm not completely convinced by his argument but it is worth checking out. I have a couple of FX lenses I use with my D7100 but Tony claims that this causes a loss of resolution compared to using DX lenses on a DX body. I'm happy with my results though.

IIRC he has another video where it depends what FX lens you are talking about. In a 18-55 range, better to use the DX lens designed for the DX sensor. At longer FL, for birds, a 80-300 becomes a 120-450. The new 200-500 becomes another good example.

The crazy part is from 50mm up there aren't that many DX lens, only the 55-200 or 55-300. so you buy the FX lens anyway to get the FL you need. As long as you use the center sharp portion of the lens you get the sweet spot.

-- hide signature --

I Shoot RAW

GlennW's gear list:GlennW's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow