Is it better to use FX lens on DX camera ?

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
GlennW Senior Member • Posts: 1,998
Re: Is it better to use FX lens on DX camera ?

Mahoonse wrote:

Tony Northrop on his youtube channel on photography has a video "20 things most photographers get wrong" at One of the things he mentions is using FX lenses on DX bodies. I'm not completely convinced by his argument but it is worth checking out. I have a couple of FX lenses I use with my D7100 but Tony claims that this causes a loss of resolution compared to using DX lenses on a DX body. I'm happy with my results though.

IIRC he has another video where it depends what FX lens you are talking about. In a 18-55 range, better to use the DX lens designed for the DX sensor. At longer FL, for birds, a 80-300 becomes a 120-450. The new 200-500 becomes another good example.

The crazy part is from 50mm up there aren't that many DX lens, only the 55-200 or 55-300. so you buy the FX lens anyway to get the FL you need. As long as you use the center sharp portion of the lens you get the sweet spot.

-- hide signature --

I Shoot RAW

GlennW's gear list:GlennW's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow