Sony A7RII vs Sony A99: Do you really benefit from 42 megapixels vs 24 megapixels?

Started Mar 29, 2016 | Discussions thread
Robsphoto
OP Robsphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
3 New Images: Sony A-Mount CZ 24-70mm F/2.8 lens compared with Sony FE 55mm F/1.8 lens

Robsphoto wrote:

philip pj wrote:

First, thanks for this comparison Rob, always informative. I hope the southern autumn is treating you well in the windy city.

Thanks very much Philip for your detailed post, I'm sure several people will learn a lot from it. Yes, a very good Autumn here on the whole, still nice and warm and strangely not too much wind!

There are of course many technical issues, let me run through a few - but first, the FE55 image is very much superior. More lively, more information, better definition, clearer (less muddy), more micro-contrast, better tone handling, more accurate, just to mention a few characteristics.

Yes, I was very surprised and pleased when I took my first images with the A7RII and the FE55mm lens. The image quality has surpassed my expectations and the overall package is much lighter than the load I carry around when using the Sony A99.

Rather than looking at 100% crops, I have uploaded to the DPR gallery 3 new full-sized images taken yesterday at Titahi Bay near Wellington. All images have been captured hand-held at 1/800 second, F/5.6, 55mm, ISO 100 and are JPEGs "straight out of the camera". Naturally they could have been improved with some work in Photoshop!

IMAGE 1: Sony A99 with the CZ 24-70mm lens set at 55mm

IMAGE 2: Sony A7RII with the LA-EA4 adapter and the CZ 24-70mm lens set at 55mm

IMAGE 3: Sony A7RII using the Sony Zeiss FE 55mm F/1.8 prime lens

I would be interested if you could rank them in order of quality. I think that Image 3 with the A7RII with the FE 55mm lens is the best, followed by Image 2 with the A7RII with the LA-EA4 adapter and the CZ 24-70mm, and lastly Image 1 with the A99 with the CZ 24-70mm lens.

To view an image below, click on it and select "100% details" or use the "Loupe" tool. I find that I need to reduce the size of these images slightly in my browser in order to see the best detail.

IMAGE 1 (above): Sony A99 with the CZ 24-70mm lens set at 55mm

IMAGE 2 (above): Sony A7RII with the LA-EA4 adapter and the CZ 24-70mm lens set at 55mm

IMAGE 3 (above): Sony A7RII using the Sony Zeiss FE 55mm F/1.8 prime lens

I think it is a particularly demanding test to view images at 100% magnification, but the A7RII does this very well, particularly with the 55mm F/1.8 lens.

From these 3 images you may be able to make a judgment as to whether it's the 55mm F/1.8 lens or the superior A7RII camera (or a combination of both) which probably makes Image 3 the pick of the bunch.

A further example of how good the A7RII and the FE 55mm F/1/8 lens are can be seen in the link that follows where the names on some Auckland city buildings can be clearly seen even though the camera was several kilometres away from these buildings.

http://www.robsphotography.co.nz/A7R2-Devonport-1.html

Cheers

Rob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow