Russian M42 lenses commonly available - basic survey

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 25,183
Re: Russian M42 lenses commonly available - basic survey

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Mir-1B (or 1V) 37mm f2.8 - small M42 lens, works well, common, well regarded - pity the adapter is necessary as this otherwise would be a very neat lens indeed. The design won a prize at the 1958 Brussels World fair - I think it a Russian-original design and a good one at that.

Mir-10A 28mm f2.8 - heavier lens with close focus capability to 200mm. The first one I bought was from one of the few real-rogue Ukrainian vendors. Luckily I persevered and acquired a "new" one in excellent condition - open the package and smell the machine oil still hanging about - ahhhh! In any case I think these might also be a Zeiss Flektogon copy and if in good condition they are a very nice lens indeed.

Mir-20M - 20mm f3.5 - Zeiss Flektogon clone, an excellent lens, big heavy, saucer size objective, close focus. Rarer and more expensive. One of my favourites. I have the Zeiss in f4.0 and I admit it to be good, I have not "afforded" the Zeiss f2.8 as of yet, but the overall design is great for this lens type if you can stand the size. One of the few lenses which is best parked face down when on camera for stability (grin). Heaps better made than any LTM wide lens from Russia, well maybe the Russar is ok, but the M-20 is cheaper and faster.

All three MIR are Flektogon colones.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow