Nikon D7200 "ERR" and "F - -" message

Started Mar 28, 2016 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Swu927 New Member • Posts: 2
Nikon D7200 "ERR" and "F - -" message

Hello guys,

I got my first DSLR last Christmas loved it but had to put it down for a little more than a month to concentrate on college. I'm going on a trip next week and thought I'd re-familiarize myself with my camera but I started getting an "ERR" message on my LCD control panel display where the shutter speed is, and F - - where the aperture is after I release the trigger. Pressing the trigger would make a weird sound unlike that of a shutter sound but nothing really happens. After failing at google-fu trying to find a solution I've come to you guys for help.

So far I have taken out the battery and put it back in, removed the lens and cleaned both the contact points. Unfortunately i don't have another lens with me now to test if its the lens or body but after removing the lens and memory cards shooting on auto mode I would still get the error message on the top display. I have noticed however while pressing the shutter with the front completely exposed the mirror inside does not flip up. I have done some research on that as well and came to the conclusion that it may be stuck or the camera temporarily disabled it due the the error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I would really like to fix it myself if anybody have a solution to my issue as I've booked trips to national parks in southwest america as kind of a first step into the photography world next week and I doubt I'd be able to get my camera back by then if I send it into Nikon.

Much appreciated

Steffen.

FIXED -

So after posting I went back to playing around with my camera, consecutively shooting 4-5 times in Mup mode without a lens on seems to have fixed it. My guess is that it may have dislodged the mirror? (Of course it would fix itself after I posted something and not during the whole day I've been trying to fix it)

I would still appreciate any replies in case this happens again as obviously ^ that was not a proper fix. Any ideas of how to prevent this kind of situation, why it happens or methods of fixing it would be nice.

ANSWER:
Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow