My experience with the Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 G Master lens

Started Mar 27, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Knoxis
Knoxis Contributing Member • Posts: 628
My experience with the Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 G Master lens

Hi,

So recently I was in Singapore and coincidentally one of the Sony stores was having a hands-on session with the G Master lenses. I got to play with the Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM lens as well as the 85 F1.4, but mostly with the 24-70 as that is the lens I am interested in. In my opinion, the lens is not as heavy as most online reviewers have stressed ("it's heavier than the Canon 5DsR and EF 24-70 F2.8!"). It may be so, but it' still very light. I'll admit that it seemed front heavy when used with an a7r II, but that isn't much of a problem — using my old 24-70 F4 made the camera feel back heavy to me!

The lens is incredibly sharp, and does not have as bad distortion as the F4 does. It still distort, mind you, but very slightly — in fact, one probably wouldn't be able to notice the distortion in an uncorrected image, though you can notice the slight warping when applying distortion correction in Lightroom.

The lens is also not that big! Initially I though the lens would be really big (so much so that I rearranged my camera backpack to make more room for it!). However, actually playing with it made me realize that the lens actually is quite reasonably sized, and is still smaller than the 70-200 F4. Some have complained that the mount looks like Sony attached a metabones adapter to a DSLR lens, but to me, it didn't feel too bad. The size that really surprised me was that of the 85 F1.4. The 24-70 F2.8 can still allow the camera and lens combination to lay on a table, but with the 85 attached the camera was tilted upwards slightly when placed down, due to the diameter of the lens exceeding the height of the camera. I'll admit Sony's attention to details it amazing — they even designed the 85mm to have a small plastic edge at the base of the lens so that when placed down the lens sits on the plastic edge so that the rubber zoom, focus and aperture ring do not touch the surface of the table, limiting scratches caused by placing the lens down.

A nice addition to the 24-70 is the manual focus switch, thought the lens is still focus by wire. The focus ring is very smooth to turn, but that could just be the wearing out caused by the endless man handling abuse the lens received over time. The rings are rubbery and easy to grip, but gather dust easily.

Finally, some have noted that the lens looks plasticky, and I admit I was a little disappointed that it wasn't made of the premium feeling metal that the Zony lenses are made of, but the plastic barrel is very premium feeling, even more so than the 70-200mm F4 G. The zoom extension is made of metal and am happy to say that the front part of the lens that extends out of the barrel does not wiggle in its spot, unlike the 24-70 F4.

So far, the G Master lenses are great. The only downside to being in Singapore is that the local Sony stores still do not know when it will officially be released, or even its MSRP. Not too much of a problem for me, but I'm sure some local photographers are just dying to buy one, and will have to hold out until they finally announce when they will release the lens. It's annoying having waited years for the lens to even be announced, and still have to painstakingly wait for Sony to make up its mind on how much the thing is going to cost, or when consumers can even get their hands on it.

-- hide signature --

Photos are like memories that you give to a friend.

Knoxis's gear list:Knoxis's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
Canon EOS 5DS R Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow