firmware download failure. now Olympus wants to replace the CPG for Zuiko lens. Huge bucks!

Started Mar 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
Joseph T Lewis III Veteran Member • Posts: 3,512
Re: firmware download failure. now Olympus wants to replace the CPG for Zuiko lens. Huge bucks!

Paulmorgan wrote:

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:

Zackman1959 wrote:

I have an Olympus OMD-5 with a Olympus Zuiko EZ-M1250 lens. I was very happy with the lens. Then I tried to download a firmware update for the lens and my internet connection was interrupted during the update. Iso the lens doesn't work. took it to a repairer who recommended sending it to the Olympus Australia head office. So I did

Now Olympus wants to charge me $327.55 for replacing the circuit board ($22.77 for the replacement - the rest is labour). I can buy the same lens for a bit less than that price. I am outside the warranty

Is this really right? - it was only an interrupted firmware update. Seems to me to be a built in design flaw if the CPG can't survive that

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Firmware updates don`t work like that.

If you lost you internet connection while the firmware was downloading it would not have been uploaded to your camera.

The update only begins once the firmware has been downloaded to the pc in full and then uploaded to the camera in full, once the camera has the firmware stored it will then start installing it.

Its a load of nonsense blaming the Olympus method, at the end of the day its of little difference than doing it via a card.

John

What you say makes a lot of sense, and seems to be reasonable way of updating the firmware.

Just out of curiosity, how did you determine that the Oly firmware updates work that way? Please rest assured I'm not disputing or contesting what you say. Rather, if the process you describe is officially documented by Olympus somewhere, a link to it would be very helpful the next time one of these threads occurs.

Thank you

I carried out my own test.

When I got the warning screen I removed the USB lead and attempted to turn the camera off.

With the USB lead removed the update still continued and because the camera was updating the firmware it must have disabled the on off switch (a safety feature)

Those Olympus engineers were pretty clever when they developed this method of updating, they were not stupid, they built all sorts of safety features in.

For the firmware update to begin that firmware update firstly needs to be downloaded then stored in the cameras memory.

Very interesting, thanks for the comeback. Apologies for calling you "John" in my previous post.

If one thinks about it, downloading the changes to a PC and then performing the upgrade once the download has completed is the way other PC system and application software updates work. With some of them the user will actually see comments about the progress of the download expressed as % complete, followed by a comment about the download being complete, followed by "installation of the updates is now beginning". Some of the menus I've seen actually give the option of cancelling the the download while it's in progress. They would not do this if the update was occurring in tandem with the various files being downloaded; it would be equivalent to saying "Click Cancel if you want to royally screw up your machine".

In all honesty, I would be very surprised if Olympus software engineers had NOT done it the way you are suggesting. Why would they go against commonly accepted programming practices and deliberately do something that had a lot more risk involved, for no good reason?  The programming costs involved certainly wouldn't be much (if any) different. And, the money they make from fixing the occasional "bricked" piece of equipment would not be worth the risk of hacking off formerly loyal customers, prompting them to jump ship and leave Olympus.

Just my two bits worth...

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow