firmware download failure. now Olympus wants to replace the CPG for Zuiko lens. Huge bucks!

Started Mar 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
Paulmorgan Veteran Member • Posts: 8,448
Re: firmware download failure. now Olympus wants to replace the CPG for Zuiko lens. Huge bucks!

baxters wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:
I carried out my own test.
When I got the warning screen I removed the USB lead and attempted to turn the camera off.
With the USB lead removed the update still continued and because the camera was updating the firmware it must have disabled the on off switch (a safety feature)
Those Olympus engineers were pretty clever when they developed this method of updating, they were not stupid, they built all sorts of safety features in.

Doggone, Paul. That's amazing. Nice work.

That is pretty much how it works, but I would still leave everything plugged in, in 12 years of using this method of firmware update I`ve accidentally pulled the USB cable on more than one occasion and nothing has ever been bricked.

There are two reasons for it all going wrong.

1) corrupted file download, I`m mot sure how the integrity is checked before the install, if your downloading a bin file for a Panasonic camera you will do this yourself.

2) Loss of power during the camera install like a battery going flat.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow