Taking the A6000, leaving the A7s

Started Mar 25, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhilthePhrame
PhilthePhrame Contributing Member • Posts: 508
Taking the A6000, leaving the A7s

So, leaving on a 6 week trip to Italy from North America with my wife. While there, traveling by train and staying in Airbnb and VRBO apartments. Looking forward to low light photo ops of frescos and paintings in churches. Only stills, no video.

Technically, the A7s is the obvious choice: Great low light performance, silent shutter, full frame, nice view finder.

Practically, the A6000 is the one that goes, as it less of a physical and psychological burden: Smaller profile, lighter, good image quality, less worry if it is stolen ($600 loss vs $2700 loss).

A couple of light, low profile FE lenses will come along for the A6000:

- the Zony 35mm f/2.8, operating at 52mm cropped on the A6000, will come as it is very compact

- the the 28-70 (42 - 105) kit lens from the A7 will come, as it is also light and compact for its range.

-  The A6000 kit lens (16-50) might come, as it is so light, and gives me an otherwise missing range, but it might be over the line in image quality.

So, in practice we have to make some sacrifices - For my style of travel, I'm going to sacrifice some quality for lightness. (Of course, it helps that my wife will be bringing the RX100 MK3, smaller and lighter.

A reasonable choice?

PhilthePhrame's gear list:PhilthePhrame's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Sony a6000 Sony a7R III +16 more
Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Olympus Air Sony a6000 Sony a7 Sony a7S Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow