firmware download failure. now Olympus wants to replace the CPG for Zuiko lens. Huge bucks!

Started Mar 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
John King
John King Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941
Re: firmware download failure. now Olympus wants to replace the CPG for Zuiko lens. Huge bucks!

joergzielosko wrote:

baxters wrote:

Yes, it is a built in design flaw. If they had spend $32.75 for the CPG, instead of $22.75, they could made the boot loader redundant it could be reloaded in cases like yours. The cameras have the same weakness, but as long as they make the customer pay for failures, they don't care.

I guess that extra $10 adds too much to cost of goods, especially on the cheap kit lenses, but I'm sure they they use the same $22.75 CPG on the new $2500 300mm prime.

It's not even necessary to build more expensive hardware to prevent such issues. Handling the download and programming the firmware into the lens' flash memory should be two separate steps in the process. If for some reason the download is interrupted or the data is corrupted, programming should never start.

Every firmware update process in the world is designed that way, but not Olympus?

That is exactly how all Olympus firmware does update, IME. Including the update of my own 12-50.

Download from Internet to computer. Check checksum (etc). Update camera or lens.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow